Thursday 9 February 2012

Valentine's Day: It's More Than Just Mush


It is Valentine's season again.  Some celebrate it in a day, some in a month, and some forever.  We have been exposed to happy love stories, and to love stories that don't have a happy ending, and to those who don't have a love story at all.

Since ongoing love stories don't need extra comfort, I congratulate their effort to make this happen.  I'm going to write soothingly to those who need it most.

It may feel depressing to some who see Valentine mushy couples, Valentine cards, Valentine chocos, Valentine TV ads, Valentine radio ads, Valentine posters, Valentine meal specials at restos, Valentine deals at the candy store, Valentine concerts... especially when that special someone isn't there.  

Bummer!

Cheer up, mate.  Mush may be a part of love, but to tell you the truth, love is also more than just romantic mush. I would know because my first Valentine's Day person is my mom; the love of a mother and daughter may not be romantic but it is love.  Her cards were helpful reminders that she shows she cares-- just in case I fail to recognize it behind her bad moods.  (Dad may not give me a Valentine card, I suppose it also counts as his "card" was in form of an affectionately spoken "Happy Valentine's Day, too.") 

The love for friends and family are worth celebrating in Valentine's Day, too.  We love them because they have endearing ways to express care.  What if we have family who don't love us well?  It helps to realize that their definition of love may not be the same for us.  As for those who feel damaged living with such people, it is best to pack, move out and love them from afar.  Perhaps distance will help make the heart grow fonder.  Sending to people (including relatives we can't shoot)  some emails and letters of tender loving care would be good for the sender's and the recipient's health.  I suppose no one gets hurt while living apart and sending tokens of sweet affection. (If the tokens are junked, the sender still gets blessed from above.  The only one who doesn't get blessed is the ungrateful recipient-- the one who blocked the blessings.)  Trust me, the opposite of love will make one sicker.  So why be heartless and spend huge fortune on curing a loveless negative stubborn sickness, when you can be hearty and spend a smaller fortune on living a loving positive flexible health. 

I may not have memories of sending heaps of Valentine cards before.  So instead of complaining, I made that lot of Valentine cards this year.   I had sent some and will send more to friends and family.  In the early stages of distributing little valentines, I felt the joy of giving and cheering people other than myself.  There may be those who were not gracious in receiving, but that is okay.  This would be a sign to  give  other people instead (next time).  As a Valentine-er, this would increase my list of Valentine-ees -- both the ones receiving once and the ever loyal recipients.  And my Valentine-ees may be inspired to have that Valentine spirit that would spread light of love to the corners of the earth that never knew the Valentine joy.  Who knows?

One may say, "I see you give valentines.  I'm sorry to tell you that your efforts are a waste.  There will be recipients out there who will throw away your cards."  I would say, "That may be true, but I know there are a handful among them (even just one), who would remember that there are people (like me), who put loving effort in creating a Happy Valentine's Day for them.  And if that handful don't remember me, seeing the card may let them feel like, 'Wow, A cool Valentine card! I can do this too!'  I feel proud that I have contributed to the radiant flame of Valentine card giving, and it spread from one person to another."

If you want to receive love, then give love.  For starters, Valentine cards help express the heart's goodness when the sender can't find the words for it.  (Is this an outlet to help heal your heart?  Why not?)  It may not be the only way, but it is a stepping stone to your next loving expression.  May you feel the joy for going towards the many steps to demonstrate that love.  A sweet Valentine card can lead to a smile, then laughter, then a cheerful conversation...  possibilities are endless.
You've got store-bought cards, homemade cards, paper cards, verbal "cards", e-cards, paid cards, free cards...  Not a card person?  There are other alternative Valentine goodies you can give.  The limit is up to your imagination.  

Valentine's day can be the springboard to love which keep lasting if anyone wants to.  Go for that start!  Does your loving go beyond Valentine's Day?  Keep up the good work!  Lovers like you make the world go 'round.

It's a season to spread the love regardless of age, gender, race, creed, and educational attainment.  Woohoo!

HAPPY HEARTS DAY!

P.S. Perhaps the next step after sending valentines would be to treat each day like Valentine's Day with more than just cards; or to connect more often to grateful receivers of the valentines; or to walk the extra mile to be nice to "pests"... all because of the good feelings felt as a Valentine-er.   As I said, possibilities are endless.

"Go ahead punk, and make my Valentine's Day!" --Rene Requiestas (1957-1993)


 :-( -> :-| -> :-)
DL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you."
--A.A. Milne
Winnie the Pooh


2 comments:

  1. Great post and attached card. I gave Hershey kisses to everyone in the office and had fun doing it. No one gave me anything, but that's okay, like you say, it's the giver who is blessed. Hope you had a good day and were blessed by what you gave. Love, Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marjorie!
    I had thoughts of giving Hershey kisses like a diamond ring set on colorful pipe cleaners. But there were no pipe cleaners from where I was.
    Thanks for the hope :-) I, too, had a good day and kept the blessings going as an abundant fountain.
    Hugs! DL

    ReplyDelete